Pakistan is placed 9th in Failed States Index published by Fund for Peace.
Failed States Index is based on 12 indicators in 3 categories.
- Mounting Demographic Pressures
- Massive Movement of Refugees or Internally Displaced Persons creating Complex Humanitarian Emergencies
- Legacy of Vengeance-Seeking Group Grievance or Group Paranoia
- Chronic and Sustained Human Flight
- Uneven Economic Development along Group Lines
- Sharp and/or Severe Economic Decline
- Criminalization and/or Delegitimization of the State
- Progressive Deterioration of Public Services
- Suspension or Arbitrary Application of the Rule of Law and Widespread Violation of Human Rights
- Security Apparatus Operates as a “State Within a State”
- Rise of Factionalized Elites
- Intervention of Other States or External Political Actors
A comparison with India from 2005
First column indicates the rank, whereas other 12 columns after country name represent the indicators in the same order as stated above.
Analyzing India’s stats, it is evident that India gained substantial progress in two indicators: Massive Movement of Refugees or Internally Displaced Persons creating Complex Humanitarian Emergencies and Sharp and/or Severe Economic Decline. They faced disappointments in 3 indicators: Legacy of Vengeance-Seeking Group Grievance or Group Paranoia, Progressive Deterioration of Public Services and Security Apparatus Operates as a “State Within a State”. Pakistan has primarily declined in Mounting Demographic Pressures, Massive Movement of Refugees or Internally Displaced Persons creating Complex Humanitarian Emergencies, Legacy of Vengeance-Seeking Group Grievance or Group Paranoia and Sharp and/or Severe Economic Decline.
Pakistan and India have similar problems. But India has gained in terms of Economics and Movement of refugees. We are building a pressure of refugees from within our terrotories due to following of USA goals blindly. As a result, group grievance is mounting. In addition we are not paying much attention to Economic downfall. If we stabilize our economy and stop fighting with our own people, we can atleast match India.